Monday, January 25, 2010

Nita Vono - The Turtle Lady

Through Real Estate and the Women's Council of Realtors, I have had the pleasure of getting to know a most wonderful and interesting lady. Her name is Nita Vono aka The Turtle Lady. Nita has for years raised and rescued turtles. She has studied, been licensed and is an expert on the care of turtles. She is called constantly from people from all over the USA looking for advice on the care of turtles. When shelters are given turtles, they ask Nita to take care of them. At this time, I believe that Nita has over 52 turtles. The photo above is Nita's largest and favorite turtle. His name is Sherman...as in the tank.


My sister Brenda and her daughters were visiting from Washington State. Nita gave us all a tour of the turtles. It was so fun and educational. Above is Taylor checking out Sherman as he buzzed from one end of the yard to the other. Turtles actually move faster than I thought.

I kept thinking my leather purse was in Sherman's way, but everywhere I moved it, he would follow it. He was quite fond of my purse. Nita commented that if we weren't careful, we would have baby coin purses running around the yard. ;-)


Heidi picking up Sherman. They both have cute little smiles don't they!




L to R: Heidi, Nita Vono, Taylor and Brenda (my favorite sister)...and Sherman (front)
Heidi commented to Brenda: "Mom - we have found another version of you...Just with Turtles!" (Brenda's whole life centers around her horses and her art - Passion is her word too!)
Nita is amazing, gracious, funner than all get out, and so interesting. One great word that describes Nita is PASSION! I am so glad that I have gotten to know Nita...we have traveled together to Orlando, Washington DC, San Diego and St George with WCR this past year and it has been great getting to know her.
One other great thing about Nita is that she LOVES to quilt...so when we travel, we like to hit quilt shops whenever possible. Several times I would say "Hey, look at this great piece of fabric" only to see Nita holding that same fabric (so need I say more...she has GREAT taste in fabric).
Thanks Nita for the turtle tours, fun travels, great conversation and most of all wonderful friendship. You truly are AMAZING!



No comments: